Saturday, November 05, 2005

Questionable Parenting

Testing at Sylvan can be such an interesting experience. I am baffled by the low level students that come in our doors everyday. I just don't understand how parents can wait until 8th grade to get their child help, when they can't even read sight words?!? Is it denial? Is it stupidity? Is it neglect? Is it ignorance?

Now that I am a parent, I can understand the denial aspect to a certain degree. Of course I think that Donovan is the cutest baby in the world, and I know that other people think so too...unless they are just blowing smoke up my ass, but I do know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and that other people may not think that Donovan is that cute. But, I do not think that I am that clueless to let Donovan go on struggling in school and not do anything about it. It is one of my personal goals to always be in touch with how Donovan is doing academically and developmentally. I think that I am almost neurotically obsessed with his development now, so I hope that in the future I stay on top of those sorts of things. Can everyone please be honest with me and if you think that I am in denial about something, mention it to me. I already know that Jeanette is going to be Donovan's Math tutor and mentor, since I know shit about Math.

It is really sad to me to see these students all the time that are scoring so low.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree, it is really depressing to see the poor scores and poor attitudes to cover up bad skills.

I really do think Donovan is cute!

And you already have a math tutor lined up, Donovan is set!

Jeanette said...

I'm sure that you will stay on top of Donovan's development. You know how he should be doing and the things that you can do if he's not. I promise I won't blow smoke up your ass and will tell you if you'er in denial.